Saturday, May 21, 2016

Speaking of Learning: Learn Self-control

So CDI this past week was quite stressful. From Monday through Friday, 9 to 5, we discussed: 
  • Course goals vs. objectives
  • Assessments: to measure or not? 
  • Do I know the subject so well that I don't realize what my students don't know? 
  • In-class activities: are they engaging or is it busy work? 
  • Et cetera, et cetera.
Addressing these kinds of questions and confronting my own syllabus was pretty intense. So to alleviate some of the stress--I guess--they made sure we had PLENTY OF FOOD. So everyday at 8:30am we had breakfast, at 10:45am coffee break, 12:15 lunch. While it was not crazy good, it was better than the usual fare we've been served lately during these days of budget cuts and belt tightening: Tandoori chicken, salmon, shrimp and avocado sandwich, just to name some of the better options.

The killer, tho', was the snacks. In the back of the study room, there was a table with a large urn of coffee, water, soda and FOOD: 
  • Fruit (bananas, plums, apples, and--omigod!--cherries!)
  • Energy bars (Special K, granola, and--oh no!--peanut butter W/ DARK chocolate)
  • Bagels with cream cheese
  • Potato chips (regular, wavy, ruffles, BBQ, and--my favorite!--kettle)
  • Muffins (plain, whole wheat, cranberry, blueberry and--gulp!--coconut)
  • And a bottomless bowl of small Trail Mix bags.
They were constantly restocking the table ALL DAY LONG. So of course, I had to try EVERY single treat available. And to confirm which one I liked, I had to try them again... and again. I was like a puppy dog who found open and unattended bags of Puppy Chow, Milk Bone and Beggin' Strips. I swear, I think 

I GAINED 6 POUNDS. 

So before I get back to work, I need to exercise a bit, maybe for a couple of weeks. I feel sluggish and kinda dumpy. Ugh!

No comments :