Thursday, October 14, 2010

Summer Institute: Award Winning Teachers

Alright... It's the middle of October and I've been gearing up for our Summer Institute already. The proposal is in and I hope the powers that be will accept it. I've made some changes from last year--no more "semi-immersion" approach. It was too difficult to monitor without having to be with students 24/7 and I'm sure they get enough of me in class as it is.

I'm still working out the details, but one thing is for sure: The two regular full-time faculty who will be teaching this summer are also recent award winners for innovative teaching.

Assistant Professor for Teaching, Takae Tsujioka, will be team teaching Intermediate Japanese (JAPN 006) with Rika Seya. Tsujioka sensei is the recipient of the 2010 Bender Teaching Award. I can vouch for her teaching skills. Whenever I go to her class to observe, I always come away in awe, and often end up stealing some of her ideas to incorporate into my own language courses.

The other award winner will be teaching Beginning Japanese (JAPN 005) along with Wakana Kikuchi, and that teacher is......... me. Those who know me, pretty much see me as outgoing and, well, narcissistic. I'm actually quite modest and reserved... but I'll tell ya' anyway: I was fortunate enough to receive the 2010 Robert W. Kenny Award for Innovative Teaching. (Okay, did it sound like I just couldn't wait to tell you?) Unfortunately, I can't vouch for myself, especially since I'm "borrowing" ideas--with permission, of course--from Tsujioka sensei. Then again, the award was for my literature course, Love and Politics: The Tale of Genji.

Anyway, as details are confirmed, I will post information about our Summer Institute for Japanese Language and Culture over the coming months.

No comments :